I was thinking about titling the project "Things I love about where I live (or wished I lived)" and make it grade level specific.
For example the Elementary school could just draw a picture and write a few sentences.
Middle schools would have to write at least 3 paragraphs in letter format and perhaps include a drawing or photograph.
High school would be two pages with some history or science topic covered in class to make it a way to review topics as well as be educational for the reader in South Africa.
I need to type up a rubric for grading and acceptance of submissions. I thought they could put it all in a gallon bag with their name, teacher name and school attached (written with a sharpie or stapled) so that I could see if any students in S.Africa would be willing to write back to them. Perhaps include some school supplies like pencils/pens and paper.
In addition I could go to local churches and youth groups and see if anyone there wants to write letters or donate school supplies I can take in my suitcase to South Africa. The only thing I worry about is if the teachers and students overseas would be willing to write back. I will have to ask the South African teachers visiting next month about it. If nothing else I can bring back postcards and pictures to share with everyone who participates.
I'm so excited about going. As Dr. Huber said in his last email....
60 days and counting!
I will attach rubrics and fliers to this website, since I haven't figured out how to do it to this blog:
https://www.taskstream.com/ts/lupton2/SouthAfricaLetters.html
No comments:
Post a Comment