Saturday, November 17, 2012

Analysis of various teaching strageties

I can not believe we only have one week left at Emfundweni. Where has the time gone?

Dr. Huber challenged us last night to reflect deeply upon what we have learned concerning teaching methods from our time in Emfundweni. What worked and what did not work as well as we hoped.

What worked: 

Music and dance
Modelling instructions
Demonstration of concepts and open ended questions
Asking questions about their life and getting to know them on a more personal level
Practical assignments that involved communication with other students
Educational games
Lessons that involved food or skills they can use in their daily lives
Empowering certain students to lead class discussions
Parent involvement and communication

Areas of improvement:

Overcoming the language barrier
Finding examples of concepts they can relate to
Off task behavior of some students
Confusion concerning the class schedule and individual teacher responsibilities
Time management
Effective use of the computer lab
Organized sports and games that do NOT involve violence
Distraction caused by students outside the classroom windows
Lack of lighting during cloudy days and inability of students to read the chalkboard
Lack of basic school supplies, especially science resources such as lab equipment (sometimes having to borrow chalk from another teacher)

I could list so many things I have learned from my experience in South Africa. I saw the learners in all grade levels loved music and dance. If you could sing it to them, they were more likely to remember the words you sang. I believe if I had more time I would share with them more songs that taught science content. Perhaps I could research and make a post with that resource.

http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/science_songs.html

Greg's science songs
 

South Africa Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9nHrH13Jb4&list=PLwBAwU0hdg5K0ZeB-kHS3zBCMhhTRr-1d&feature=mh_lolz

Educational Websites:

www.starfall.com

www.freerice.com

www.pbskids.org

www.maps.com

www.mathbusters.com


No comments:

Post a Comment