I spoke with a few different people and asked them to define ubuntu and maybe if I get a chance today I will ask the 3rd or 7th graders to tell stories of a person with ubuntu and draw pictures.
I believe that ubuntu is an adjective used to describe the sense of community, compassion and peace a person or a group has towards one another. Someone with ubuntu is a peacemaker. I was given the example of how you could ask your neighbor for some flour and the neighbor would give it to you. They said the South End had ubuntu and was a place where people of many different ethnic groups lived in peace and that the distrust and suspicion of other ethnic groups or racism was lack of ubuntu.
Early Wednesday morning, I sit reflecting upon the last few days and wonder what I can share with the world. I still feel that South Africa has taught ME more than I have taught their children. Yesterday, I read a group of 3rd graders the Ugly Duckling. I got through the first sentence and the children responded by repeating my words in chorus back to me. I was a little surprised because you have to really push the students back home to read out loud or respond in unison. Then I thought it was a wonderful way to practice their English pronunciation. The kids were so welcoming and open to instruction, before I left they asked if I would come back and teach them tomorrow.
How could a high school science teacher with no elementary education training say no to such faces?
Now all I have to do is brainstorm a lesson plan quickly before Joseph shows up to take us to the school.
Like all kids around the world they want to show off their work. ) I would say more but its time to head back to the school!
I found this:
What Is Ubuntu? I Am, Because We Are
“In Africa there is a concept known as Ubuntu – the profound sense that we are human only through the humanity of others; that if we are to accomplish anything in this world it will in equal measure be due to the work and achievements of others.” — Nelson Mandela
http://smallbiztrends.com/2011/04/ubuntu-teamwork-collaboration.html
Nov. 14, 2012
I spoke with Grade 7 and challenged them to find local stories or write examples of people who display ubuntu and bring them to class and share with us those stories. I am really looking forward to reading them and will post an update when the learners bring in their stories. They asked if they could use newspaper articles and magazines to tell their stories. I am wondering if we could get a group of seventh graders back home to send back stories of people with ubuntu to the learners here.
I believe that ubuntu is an adjective used to describe the sense of community, compassion and peace a person or a group has towards one another. Someone with ubuntu is a peacemaker. I was given the example of how you could ask your neighbor for some flour and the neighbor would give it to you. They said the South End had ubuntu and was a place where people of many different ethnic groups lived in peace and that the distrust and suspicion of other ethnic groups or racism was lack of ubuntu.
Early Wednesday morning, I sit reflecting upon the last few days and wonder what I can share with the world. I still feel that South Africa has taught ME more than I have taught their children. Yesterday, I read a group of 3rd graders the Ugly Duckling. I got through the first sentence and the children responded by repeating my words in chorus back to me. I was a little surprised because you have to really push the students back home to read out loud or respond in unison. Then I thought it was a wonderful way to practice their English pronunciation. The kids were so welcoming and open to instruction, before I left they asked if I would come back and teach them tomorrow.
How could a high school science teacher with no elementary education training say no to such faces?
Now all I have to do is brainstorm a lesson plan quickly before Joseph shows up to take us to the school.
Like all kids around the world they want to show off their work. ) I would say more but its time to head back to the school!
I found this:
What Is Ubuntu? I Am, Because We Are
“In Africa there is a concept known as Ubuntu – the profound sense that we are human only through the humanity of others; that if we are to accomplish anything in this world it will in equal measure be due to the work and achievements of others.” — Nelson Mandela
http://smallbiztrends.com/2011/04/ubuntu-teamwork-collaboration.html
Nov. 14, 2012
I spoke with Grade 7 and challenged them to find local stories or write examples of people who display ubuntu and bring them to class and share with us those stories. I am really looking forward to reading them and will post an update when the learners bring in their stories. They asked if they could use newspaper articles and magazines to tell their stories. I am wondering if we could get a group of seventh graders back home to send back stories of people with ubuntu to the learners here.
No comments:
Post a Comment